Faridoon Shahryar's Blog


Thursday, January 7, 2021

Shamsur Rahman Faroqui: End of an Era!

The inevitable happened today. Farouqi uncle passed away in Allahabad. He was 85. Apart from being one of the greatest literary figures in the world, he was a very very fine human being. I am sure as you shall read the hundreds and thousands of obituaries about him, anyone and everyone will surely write about the warmth and loving nature of this giant of a man. 

It is a personal loss for me. He read my english poems when I was 20 and told me that you write well but your imagery is similar to your father. You can make a mark for yourself as a Poet if you manage to say something different from your father. It has been a struggle but I've always tried to follow his advice. The world will say what it has to say but my endeavour is to make a name of my own other than the illustrious name of Abba. And I shall always be indebted to Farouqi uncle for showing me the mirror instead of simply giving a regular feedback to my work. Today I am confident that I am finding a niche for myself as a poet of consequence. 

During the lockdown I discovered his genius like never before. I started watching all his literary sessions, interviews and documentaries on youtube. I was so hooked on to his words that I ended up watching all his sessions multiple number of times. In fact some of the interviews have been watched by me 15-20 times till I knew each word said by him by heart. I spoke to him a few times during the lockdown and expressed my gratefulness. I am glad that I could manage to do that. 

He said in a literary session that a poet has to be clever in terms of using his/her emotions to write something that has artistry as well as a profound meaning. He emphasised on 'meaning' in poetry rather than mere word play meant to get wah wahs in the mushairas. He stressed on the importance of 'lack of sentimentality' in Art and why one should never 'judge' a poet based on his personal life.  

One of the most fascinating aspects of his personality was his magical appeal as a communicator. He explained the most complicated notions of critical analysis by making it extremely entertaining and conversational. Just watch his videos on youtube and you shall be hooked to his artistry with conversation and massive reservoir of knowledge. 

I can go on and on writing about Farouqi uncle because I have rarely respected a man the way I respect him. He has guided me in the past and his words will continue to guide me in the future. 

Rest in peace Farouqi uncle. 

No one can take your place. Ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment